Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Colour, colour, what colour?

I've always been captivated by the beautiful white bridal gowns. When I was 7 I even persuaded my dad to buy me a white gown with a veil and a white hair band with lot of decorative white roses on it. I guess they were worn by the girls for their baptism. I also used to wonder why white of all colours and used to think it had some reference to something from the bible or some religious custom. Well I have the answer now. This practice of wearing white dress started with none other than the empress with longest reign in history, Queen Victoria. She started this practice and it has continued to this date. Before Victoria's wedding a bride would wear her best dress of no particular colour.

In south India, yellow or red are considered auspicious though there are no restrictions to the colour or texture of the dress. Mostly the brides wear exuberant silk sarees. Sometimes its a simple cotton saree for the knot tying ceremony, since the wedding saree doubles as a cradle for the first born.

No comments:

Post a Comment